Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Watercolor Birds #49: White-Necked Rockfowl


A bird that I only learned recently about, when I watched this video. You must watch it to fully appreciate this birds cuteness. Because of the video, I've known this bird as Picathartes, which is the genus name. There are only two species (the other is the Grey-Necked Rockfowl), and they are both confined to small (separate) areas in Africa.

I made the bird too balloony at first. What you see here is an attempt to fix it, which, I think, worked pretty well. But it still doesn't capture the exact, forward-leaning posture of the bird. Because its feathers form a smooth-looking surface, I didn't have to spend a lot of time on small details. So you'd think I'd put more effort on the shape. Oh, well. Live and learn.


No comments: